DesiGirl's Network: Home | About Me |



Torte del Cielo

Meeta of WFLH recently celebrated her birthday. I came to know of that fact and her decision to throw a Birthday Bash earlier this morning when I was checking out Nandita's blog for any new goodies. At the birthday girl's request to make some party grub for her, I put on my thinking hat and wondered what to make. After scratching my scalp away, the bulb went off in my head - I could make my world-famous (ish!) Mexican almond cake. Called 'Torte del Cielo' or a slice of heaven, this cake is truly scrumpilicious. So, here it is! Oh, happy birthday Meeta!



Things you need to make this are:
Almonds in their skins - 175 gms
Eggs - 3
Plain flour - 9 tbsp
Butter - 225 gms, unsalted
Sugar - 225 gms
Almond essence - 1 tsp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Nutmeg - 1 tsp
Salt - a pinch

For decoration
Toasted almond flakes - 1 tbsp (optional)
Icing sugar

Now, take a cake tin (preferably round), lightly butter it and line it with baking paper. Preheat the overn at Gas Mark 4 (350 deg F).
Grind the almonds to make a rough mixture. Set it aside
In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy. Add lightly beaten eggs, the almond mixture, nutmeg and the two essences and beat well till they are mixed well.
Slowly sift the flour into the bowl, add salt and fold it all together.
Pour the batter into the greased tin; smoothen the top of the cake.
Bake the cake for about 50 minutes; when a pick comes out clean, you'd know the cake's dne.
Remove it from the oven and let it rest on a wire rack.
Decorate with almond flakes. Dust icing sugar all over it and serve.

ps: Sorry about the dodgy pic! Best I could do in a hurry!

Posted by DesiGirl 21:47  

3 Comments:

  1. FH said...
    Mexican Almond cake looks fabulous.Dark and yummy.Good one:))
    Meeta K. Wolff said...
    This truly looks like heaven. Thanks for bringing some over!
    DesiGirl said...
    Asha,
    Thanks for the wonderful compliments! It is quite easy make and rather light as well. No fuss cake - my kind of one!!

    Meeta,
    Aww! You're welcome! I just wish I had taken better pix! Looks like you are having a wonderful birthday!!

Post a Comment