DesiGirl's Network: Home | About Me |



Bread Uppuma

One of the easiest items to make for brekkie is good ole upma. Whenever my gran asks me what tiffin I want, my ever-ready answer is upma. Rava, aval, samba rava, rice - whatever it is, I love upma in any shape or form. Of all the various forms of the item, bread upma is, in my opinion, is one you can dish up in a real jiffy.






So, what do you need to make this delicacy?

Fairly obviously, bread - 5 -6 slices
Onion - 1, sliced
Tomato - 2, chopped
Peas - 2 tbsp
Potato - 1, diced
Carrots / cauliflower / capsicum - 2 tbsp, diced
Green chillies - 2, deseeded and diced
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - handful
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp chopped finely
Salt - to taste
Now, get ready to start cooking by getting out the ever present kadai. Heat the oil for a minute and add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Once that is done, add the dals, roast, add curry leaves, then drop in the sliced onions. Once that turns a pink shade, add the green chillies to the pan. Saute for a few minutes.
Add the tomatoes and cook for a while. Add turmeric powder to the cooked tomatoes.
Now, add the chopped veg - you can add as many or as little as you want. If you have stuff like left-over potatoes or cauliflower sabzi in the fridge, chuck that in as well. Mix well, add some salt and let it all cook well.

Meanwhile, toast the bread slices in a toaster, in a browning setting. After that, cut them into cubes.

Now, add the cubed bread to the veg in the kadai, adjust salt and mix well. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with ketchup.

Posted by DesiGirl 00:01  

2 Comments:

  1. AR said...
    You know I can't stand upma for some reason but one of my friends used to bring this stuff to school and I loved it! I think I was just being contrary but this is good to know.
    DesiGirl said...
    dead easy, bachelor (spinster) grub, Mary!

    (Mary, Mary, quite contrary....)
    ;)

Post a Comment